The LEED criteria were created to achieve the following objectives:
* Defining the concept of "green building" by establishing a common standard of measurement. * Promote integrated design practices for the entire building.
* Granting the recognition to the leaders of the construction industry who are attentive to the environment.
* Stimulating the competition in the development of green designs, materials and construction methods. * Increase awareness of the benefits of “green building”.
* Transforming the construction market.
* Earnings-oriented, to get the most profit possible while maintaining the project aspect oriented to global ecology.
* Fulfilling all legal building obligations, while maintaining the highest possible profit.